Michael Ryan was appointed Chief Operating Officer, Aerostructures and Engineering Services in November 2018.
Prior to and since Bombardier’s acquisition of Short Brothers plc in 1989, Michael Ryan has held various management positions in the company, including General Manager, Advanced Composites Production and General Manager, Fabrications. In 1997, he was appointed Director of Procurement in Northern Ireland and, in June 1999, he took up the position of General Manager, Procurement, for Bombardier Aerospace in Montreal.
Michael Ryan returned to Northern Ireland in 2000, when he was appointed Vice-President and General Manager of Bombardier Belfast, one of the largest aerospace operations in the UK. In this role, he led the team responsible for the design, manufacturing and support of large aircraft structures, including fuselages, wings, engine nacelles and flight control surfaces in metal and advanced composites. He then served as President of Bombardier Aerostructures and Engineering Services until November 2018.
Michael Ryan was born in Belfast in 1959. He graduated from Queen’s University Belfast in 1981 with an Honours Degree in Aeronautical Engineering, and joined Short Brothers the same year.
He is a chartered engineer and fellow of the Royal Aeronautical Society and the Royal Academy of Engineering. He was appointed a Commander of the Order of the British Empire (CBE) in 2005.
In 2009, Michael Ryan was awarded an honorary Doctorate of Science (Engineering) by Queen’s University Belfast for services to engineering, business and commerce. In 2015, he received an honorary Doctorate of Science from Ulster University for distinguished service to business and corporate social responsibility.
- Vice President, Aerospace for A|D|S, the trade organization for the UK’s Aerospace, Defence, Security and Space industries
- Chair of A|D|S Civil Air Transport Board
- Member of the UK Aerospace Growth Partnership (AGP)
- Board Member of the Economic Advisory Group to the Northern Ireland Minister for the Economy
- Chair, Belfast Citywide Employers’ Forum
- Board member and former Chair of Business in the Community (Northern Ireland)